Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 1: Obedience

**If you just got the ebook, or just opened it for the first time, you will see that today's study doesn't start until page 13 with the chapter, The Importance of Obedience. However we could probably have spent three days studying the Introduction and The Battle chapters. Both have valuable insights, biblical references, and thought-provoking study questions, so if you must skip these in order to stay on pace, try to come back sometime this week. Also, please take a moment and introduce yourself in the Introductions post! At the very least, tell us your name, where you live, and the names/ages of your children.

Day 1: Obedience

To Do:
1. Read page 13-14 on the subject of obedience.
2. Wherever you are journaling or taking notes, answer the study questions on page 14.
3. Choose one of these questions and submit it in a comment to this Day One post.
4. Print out the prayers for obedience on page 15 and write your son(s) names in the blanks and PRAY!


Here are Brooke's suggestion on how and when to incorporate these prayers into your day:
·         Get up early to bathe their sons in prayer first thing in the morning.
·         Pray the prayers one at a time throughout the day.
·         Make the prayers a part of their family devotion time, praying the prayers out loud over their sons.
·         Spend some time in concentrated prayer late at night, around bedtime.

May God bless your day!!

--Janine, mother to William (6), Braden (3), and Jonathan (2)

9 comments:

  1. My comment is from question 4. This is so true! I see it in our culture all the time, men trying to lead but unwilling to submit to Jesus. It is a reminder that as I teach Gabe the importance of biblical obedience it is preparing him to hopefully accept the gospel and submit to Jesus someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see any study questions. Where are they? My page 14 is the next chapter entitled, "What Are We Waiting For?" There are no questions anywhere that I can see...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got an email saying that the author had reorganized her book at some point. Perhaps ours are different. Either way, just read the "Obedience" section. It should have study questions following it as well as a page with scriptural prayers with blanks for your son(s) name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy, great point! I'm picturing those guys who were raised by parents who cared more about being their friend than parent and grow up in opposition to being under authority, so they hate government, rules, bosses, religion,etc.

    I realized that I do not include scripture when disciplining my children. I'm missing valuable opportunities to share with them. And considering how often my boys get in trouble, they are bound to memorize the verses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janine, the Obedience section actually is the first section in my book, but I do not have *any* study questions in my ebook at all. I just checked the facebook pages for this challenge and I found out why my book is different: apparently, all the ebooks (with the exception of the leader books) purchased within the last month *do not* have any of the study questions. I think they are currently looking into a way to fix this. In the meantime, I'm still reading and praying!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quote in question 4 really jumped out at me too! I have always thought about the fact that as my boys learned to obey me willingly and without complaint that it would make it easier for them to obey the Lord willingly as adults. However, I hadn't thought about it in terms of the fact that it will make them a better husband too. If they are men who can submit to the Lord, they will be men who can lead their families in a godly manner! Training in obedience is not only invaluable for our sons in producing personal godliness, but also for godly future generations within our families!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 5. Are there any discipline practices you’ve been using that need to be tweaked in order to better reflect the Gospel message?

    I don't know that this would be considered a *discipline* practice, but I lose my temper easily and yell too often. I have been working on it lately and my son (who is only 3) has already made a comment about how differently I am behaving. My change in behavior hasn't made much of an impact on his behavior yet, but I'm sure if I consistently make a choice to be a "meeker" example, that it will begin to show in his behavior as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In response to question 5: As I train my children to be obedient, I also need to incorporate more scripture in my discipline. I tend to be quick to tell them what they are doing wrong. I definitely need to work on showing them in scripture what they should be doing...taking a more positive approach to discipline. I have been working on extending more grace to my children as well. Remembering their ages and what is expected at different stages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep up the prayers, ladies! Let me know how I can be praying for YOU during this next two weeks!

    ReplyDelete