Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 5: Pride

Keep up the great work everyone! Can you believe we are already on Day 5?

I wish there was more in the book that specifically talked about Pride. Pride is such a hard thing to pray against. Biblically, to be proud or to have pride is a negative thing that leads to a man or woman's downfall. I struggle with issues of pride myself, so I know the consequences of a haughty spirit. Yet, in the world, pride is a good thing to have. As parents, not only do we want to be proud of our sons, but we want them to be proud of themselves. There is such a fine line between encouraging them to believe that they can achieve and teaching them to trust in God for achievements because ultimately, he is the sovereign giver and taker of talents, gifts, trophies, victories, etc.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if this is true for everyone but I don't think I use the word "proud" the way it was used in the bible. I guess I need to start thinking about what I am saying and substitute proper words. For example, when my son is well-behaved in church, I tend to say "I'm so proud of you, you stayed quiet and listened" but what I really mean to say is "I am so excited, we finally got to sit through an entire service without having to take you out and discipline you", or "I'm so proud of(thrilled with) you for going tee-tee in the potty" It's not a puffed up, you are better than someone else kind of "proud." But there are more appropriate words I could use.

    ReplyDelete